Township Recycling Coordinator
The Recycling Center is located at 54 Rock Road, Long Valley. The Center is open from8:00 AM to 1:00 PM on the following days:
Every Saturday 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM, and the 1st, 3rd and 5th Wednesdays of the month 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
The following Recycling Materials are accepted at the Center. For the Safety of the Staff. containers must be 25 pounds or less. Materials that are not properly prepared will not be accepted at the Recycling Center.
- Auto and Truck
- Motor Oil
- Used Engine Oil
- The clothing donation boxes are for clothing only. No furniture or other household materials will be accepted. Place clothing in the clothing donation box located at the recycling center. Please do not place clothing on the ground in front of the clothing container.
- Single Stream Recycling
- Materials must be rinsed and free of debris. Plastic containers and steel or bi-metal cans should be crushed to conserve space. As of September 1, 2011, you can put the following materials in the same recycling container:
- Aluminum Cans Cardboard Boxes (flattened- do not tie)
- Glass Bottles Newspapers (please do not tie newspaper)
- Steel (tin) Cans
- Shredded Paper (please place in paper bags)
- Junk Mail
- Plastic Containers – Bottles and Non Bottles – Pete 1, HDPE 2, LDPE 4, PP 5, Other 7 No numbers 3 or 6; no plastic bags
- New items to recycle:
- Clean Aluminum Pie Plates, Trays, Aluminum Foil,
- Boxes/ Cartons which contained liquid and frozen food (such as soup, drink boxes, milk or juice cartons)
- Cardboard Packaging used to carry soda and beer such as 6 packs or 12 packs
- Commercial And Institutional Facilities:
- May bring only the above-mentioned materials to the recycling center on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month only, between 8:00AM. And 1:00 PM
- Leaves and Brush
- Leaves and Brush are accepted at regular recycling hours between September and December ONLY
- Brush and Leaves may be dropped off by non-commercial residents from properties of 2 acres or less.
- Leaves must be bagged
- Bundled and tied
- not to exceed 3 feet in length
- Diameter may not be more than 3 inches
- **ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED AT THE RECYCLING CENTER**
- RIGID PLASTICS, such as large toys, buckets, laundry baskets, lawn furniture, etc. are not accepted at the Washington Township Recycling Center.
BATTERIES DRY CELL BATTERIES – Non-rechargeable alkaline batteries- Dispose in regular trash
RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES – will be accepted at Radio Shack, Best Buy, Staples, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart and Verizon Wireless
OTHER BATTERIES – such as button cell batteries should be taken to Household Hazardous Waste for proper disposal. MCMUA Hazardous Waste: 973-829-8006
GRASS CLIPPINGS are not accepted at the Recycling Center. Call Nature’s Choice in Belvidere for disposal arrangements: 908-475-1804Washington Township no longer has a Bulky Item Cleanup Program.
HOUSEHOLD ITEMS such as furniture, construction materials, etc. may be brought to the Morris County Transfer Station: 973-347-8106 – located on Goldmine Road in Flanders, NJ. Visitwww.mcmua.com/wastereducation for organizations that accept items for donation.
TIRES are accepted at the Parsippany-Troy Hills transfer station during Saturday hours only. For more information telephone 973-808-9651.
METAL APPLIANCES AND APPLIANCES THAT CONTAIN FREON may be brought to Raimo of Stanhope. Their telephone number is 973-347-4545.For a list of additional facilities that accept these materials, visit
http://mcmua.com/materialdetail.asp?MaterialID=11 (metal appliances)
http://mcmua.com?materialdetail.asp?MaterialID=44 (freon appliances)
MCMUA HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITY is located on Goldmine Road in Flanders in the same complex as the Transfer Station. MCMUA Hazardous Waste 973-829-8006Oil based paints, chemicals, computers, televisions are accepted at this facility. Do not dispose of these materials in the trash! Hazardous waste disposal days are also held by the MCMUA at various times during the year. Please check the www.mcmua.com for those dates or stop by the DPW office for information.
UNKNOWN MATERIALS, if unlabeled or unidentifiable, please call 973-631-5109 for authorization to bring the material to the MCMUA facility.
SMOKE DETECTORS - return to manufacturer listed on back of the detector
MEDICAL WASTE – call MCMUA at 973-631-5109
NEEDLE DISPOSAL – St. Claire’s Hospital Needle Registry, Dover, NJ 973-989-3054
Brush must be
Brush and leaves should not be placed on the roadway. Placing brush and leaves on the roadway may result in a summons being issued.