There is the potential for a lead exposure resulting from paint disturbance or removal due to renovation work on houses built prior to 1971 . Exposure to lead is of particular concern to Nursing or pregnant women and children. The improper removal of lead paint may produce lead containing paint chips, dust, smoke or fumes which can cause serious health problems.
There are State regulations regarding the abatement of lead-based paint. If you feel you may have lead paint in your home, contact one of the approved lead hazard evaluators and abatement companies before you do work. Please contact the Health Department at 908-876-3650 or the Building Department at 908-876-4711 for a copy of this list and more information regarding lead paint and its proper removal, or visit the Division of Housing and Community Resources for information on lead abatement programs at http://www.state.nj.us/dca/dhcr/lead.htm.
Radon is a colorless radioactive gas that comes from the natural breakdown of radium, which originates in uranium.
Uranium and radium are both commonly found in the soil. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer which results in thousands of deaths each year in the United States. Radon exposure is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
Testing for radon is easy and relatively inexpensive. Once identified, elevated radon levels can be remediated with simple construction techniques. Please test your home for radon. Radon test kits may be purchased from the Health Department for $10.00. Please contact the Health Department at 908-876-3650 for more information
Click here for more information from the NJ Dept. of Health.
Click here for more information from the CDC.