Firearm and Other Forms
Effective December 10, 2018 the maximum capacity of ammunition magazines has been reduced from 15 to 10 rounds. The exception is for current law enforcement who are on-duty or traveling to or from duty and retired law enforcement. Individuals who legally own a firearm with an unmodifiable fixed magazine capacity of up to 15 rounds or legally own a firearm that only accepts an unmodifiable detachable magazine of up to 15 rounds prior to the effective date of the bill must register the firearm with their local law enforcement agency. The bill makes it a fourth-degree crime for a person to knowingly possess a large capacity ammunition magazine unless a firearm such a magazine is registered as required.
A recent change has been made on how to obtain all of the following New Jersey Firearms Documents also known as FARS, please follow the directions listed below.
- Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Permit to purchase a handgun
- Lost or stolen Identification Card
- Mutilated Identification Card
- Change of address on Identification Card
- Change of sex on Identification Card
- Change of name on Identification Card
Step 1: You must access the following website. www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
Step 2: Enter the following ORI# NJ0143800. If successfully entered it should display Washington Twp PD.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You can complete the application by using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop and or desktop computer that has internet connection. When completing the application you will need the email address of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: You must respond to Washington Township Police Department, 1 East Springtown Road Long Valley, NJ 07853 to pay for your INITIAL FID Card and or Pistol Purchase Permits. Please write your FARS CONFIRMATION on your check or money order (Example FARS Con #89000000). Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
Once your application request is completed
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process
- Once your application is complete, you will be notified by New Jersey State Police via email to report to Washington Township Police Department to retrieve your FID Card and/or Pistol Purchase Permit documents. Hours for pickup are 7:00am-8:00pm Monday thru Thursday.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer that has internet connection. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to process your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.