Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards and/or Handgun Purchase Permits that are completed will be handled on a case-by-case basis. When your application is completed, you will be notified by the NJ State Police via email.
Handgun Purchase Permits are valid for 90 days and will be extended for an additional 90 days via email from NJ State Police for a total period of 180 days from the date of issuance.
Effective December 10, 2018 the maximum capacity of ammunition magazines has been reduced from 15 to 10 rounds. The exception is for current law enforcement who are on-duty or traveling to or from duty and retired law enforcement. Individuals who legally own a firearm with an unmodifiable fixed magazine capacity of up to 15 rounds or legally own a firearm that only accepts an unmodifiable detachable magazine of up to 15 rounds prior to the effective date of the bill must register the firearm with their local law enforcement agency. The bill makes it a fourth-degree crime for a person to knowingly possess a large capacity ammunition magazine unless a firearm such a magazine is registered as required.
To obtain all of the following New Jersey Firearms Documents also known as FARS, please follow the directions listed below.
- Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Permit to purchase a handgun
- Lost or stolen Identification Card
- Mutilated Identification Card
- Change of address on Identification Card
- Change of sex on Identification Card
- Change of name on Identification Card
Fars Application Procedures for Applicants:
Step 1: You must access the following website. www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
Step 2: Enter the following ORI# NJ0143800. If successfully entered it should display Washington Twp PD. You will also need to provide service code 2F164B to be fingerprinted for initial firearms ID card.
Step 3: Complete the online application. You can complete the application by using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop and or desktop computer that has internet connection. When completing the application you will need the email address of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members.
Step 4: You may respond to Washington Township Police Department, 1 East Springtown Road Long Valley, NJ 07853 to pay for your INITIAL FID Card and or Pistol Purchase Permits by check, cash or money order. Please write your FARS CONFIRMATION NUMBER on your check or money order (Example FARS Con #89000000). We have installed a Drop Box for your convenience in the vestible of the Police Headquarters (which is open 24/7). Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the FID Card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
Once your application request is completed
- You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this new process
- Once your application is complete, you will be notified by New Jersey State Police via email.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop or desktop computer that has internet connection. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to process your background investigation.
- The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references, as well as, the best email addresses for yourself and references.
Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
- You Must Apply online at: njsp/concealedcarry/rtal.com
- Follow Instructions on Application
You may respond to Washington Township Police Department, 1 East Springtown Road Long Valley, NJ 07853 to pay for your Concealed Carry Permit by check, cash or Money Order. Please write your CONFIRMATION NUMBER on your check or money order. We have installed a Drop Box for your convenience in the vestibule of Police Headquarters (which is open 24/7). Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the Concealed Carry Permit. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.